Paint clarification

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by desertgirl, Apr 25, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    hello-

I'm pretty sure I've read here that paint is safe on the interior as long as it is dry, but wanted to double check. I'd like to glossy paint the inside for easier clean up.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes [​IMG]

I like glossy or semigloss too, for exactly that reason.

Prime well first -- it makes a huge difference -- and use several thin coats, not fewer thick coats.

Have fun,

Pat

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Also, if you live in a place with temperature fluxuations or humidity, consider using an exterior paint. It will handle the changes in temperature better and therefore last longer.

The first time you clean out your coop and those walls/floor are soooooo easy to wipe down, you will be very proud of yourself for painting the interior.

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    yes or if it's a small coop, you can use peel and stick tiles [​IMG] I am thinking of doing this, but IDK yet.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    remember that peel-and-stick tiles often quickly become peel-and-UNstick tiles. And water and mites can get between all those crevices. They're not great on floors IMO but I *sure* wouldn't use them on walls.

Pat

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:very true [​IMG] i forgot about mites.... exterior paint it is [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by