paint color inside coop walls - chicken preference??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gingerpeach22, May 11, 2010.

1. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    Inside on plywood walls, I will use exterior semi gloss paint. (Is indoor/outdoor latex okay?). Is there a color to avoid - a color which chickens do not like? I'm thinking of white or light yellow or light blue due to darkness in winter.

2. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Chickens absolutely HATE the color orange! Whatever you do, avoid it at all costs, you'll never get an egg!

Okay, just kidding. [​IMG] I don't think chickens care. Yes exterior latex will clean up best, or interior gloss. You are very thoughtful regarding your chooks and their needs. When I die I wouldn't mind coming back as one of your girls! Thanks for letting me pick on you! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I am building my first coop. I decided to paint it white so it would be brighter/lighter in the coop.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Put out some paint samples and see which one they like the best. If they peck it a lot they are likely to eat the paint off the wall,, if they don't touch it,, then they won't eat it.

5. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    I have wallpaper and paint in mine and I get an egg a day from each one of them...ROFL...Paint it a color that you enjoy being around and I am sure they will love it!

~Laura

6. gingerpeach22

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    Thanks for your replies. I did look at a nice yellow today which is called Denver Omelette. Too funny.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Chicken preference..... [​IMG]

8. gingerpeach22

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    Okay for you, you get black & purple with orange polka dots, ha ha.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Guess my light blue semi-gloss is going to be ok....
    [​IMG]

10. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I'd go to the mis-tint rack and let "$5 a gallon" decide.

I used white melamine masonite in my coop. The brightness really makes it pleasant, since it's about the smallest coop I'd want to have to go inside of. Bright colors will cheer the interior and make bugs more visible to the girls, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by