paint for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gruntle, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gruntle

gruntle New Egg

May 24, 2010
    i need to re-paint/weather-proof my coop this summer, what are the best products? i've not used any kind of paint/wood treatment around birds previously and i don't want to do them any harm, especially since i don't have any alternatie accomodation for them.

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I use what ever I find in the mistint sections at Lowes and Home Depot. These are good paints they just didn't get the color right. Valspar, Olympic and Beher (sp?) I get a bunch of different colors this way

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Pretty much any exterior house paint works for the outside. As mentioned, if you're thinking economically, you can typically find mistints pretty cheap. If you're wanting to match or coordinate with your own house or outbuildings, pay a little more. I usually end up with Valspar products for some reason, but most you can get at Home Depot or Lowes are good brands.

4. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    If your coop has been previously painted you can go with a barn paint made by Behr. The barn paint is animal safe and it only costs about $13/gallon. The only issue is it's only available in red and white in most Home Depot stores. If your coop is currently unpainted wood you can find stains in a lot of colors. With a stain you don't need to worry about the paint peeling and the chickens eating it! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by