Paint fumes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jnewb, Oct 1, 2015.

1. jnewb

jnewb Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2015
    Hello,
    The outside of my house and garage are being painted today. My chickens are out in the yard while this is happening, are the fumes hazardous to them? Their coop is pretty close to the house so I didn't want them in there while the painters are working. Now that they have started though, I'm very worried even with the chickens out in the yard. My girls are molting right now so thats a lot of stress. Does anyone have advice?
    Thank you!
    Jordan

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they aren't up against the building sniffing fumes or inside the garage while it is being painted, there are no concerns.

1 person likes this.
  3. jnewb

jnewb Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2015
    Thank you! That is a relief to hear. Do you think they'll be ok to go back into their coop tonight as long as the paint on the house next to it has dried? Thanks again!

4. sara1226

sara1226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin

I personally would consider the wind (although I realize wind direction can change). How close is the coop? If it is close by, and the wind is blowing the paint smell towards the coop.. Do you have windows on the coop you can just close up for the night?

What kind of chickens do you have? I'm relatively new at all this too. Only had them since May, but love them!

~Sara

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, not to worry. I sometimes paint the inside of the coop in the morning and let them back in by nightfall. But I have huge ventilation. Is it oil paint of latex? If it's latex, it should be OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by