Paint in the Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Orville014, May 20, 2016.

1. Orville014

Orville014 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    We have had chickens for 4 years now and we were using an old shed that was on our property but with the additional coop occupants we have decided that we needed an upgrade. So in the building of our new coop we come across a question: should we paint the inside of our coop? We were wondering about this because we know from previous experience that chicken and turkey poop will cement itself into the wood, so we were wondering if painting it with outdoor paint would make it easier to clean. We will have sand trays but we wanted to make sure that if something did come astray that it would be easy to clean. Any thoughts?

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    We painted the inside of our coop with outdoor paint and it is easier to wash it IMO. We primed it first with KILZ, but don't know if you would need to do that or not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  3. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    I used 2 coats of Kilz2 primer and a final coat of exterior semi-gloss white. Super easy cleanup. Nice and bright also. The painted interior will make it easy to see bugs if you happen to have an issue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  4. Orville014

Orville014 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Thank you for the advise! We will be painting the inside :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by