Paint on feathers?

chicknerd

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
NH
Hi

I have chicks that were put in a new pen. We discovered the hard way that some of the paint was not dry. One of my 10 week old BOs has paint on her legs and some of her feathers. Should I leave it alone or does it need to come off (how??). I think it will wear off naturally. Any thoughts? The paint has dried during the day so it wont happen again!

As long as it's water-based paint, it shouldn't hurt the chicken(s) with it on their feathers and legs. Some chickens may assist them with pecking it off the feathers, but I don't think the painted ladies will let anybody else peck it off their legs. Should wear off, eventually.

My dachshund "helped" me when I was painting, and he STILL has a swatch of white primer on his coat. Too bad it's not the perfect position to be considered a racing stripe.....

If it's red paint the other chickens might peck at it (they like red a lot I did a project on it) other then that it should be fine.

we painted our coop a red like a barn, and they got it all over them, and they ate some of it. that was last year, and some of the paint is still on the feathers, they havent molted yet. this year, we were painting again, and they decided to stand right under the boards from painting, and got it on them again.
he.gif
you can especially tell on the Buff Orps! anyway, it was an oil based paint, and it said safe for livestock, and it didnt seem to hurt them, or my stupid cow who licked the paint
idunno.gif
lol

Last edited:
I'd be hesitant to use anything to remove the paint since most of it is chemical and could easily harm the birds. Is there any way you can cut the feathers off that have the paint on it without hurting the bird? Make sure the feathers are fully grown or you might have a bloody mess. Otherwise, I would just leave them alone and trim the paint off as required.

Back
Top Bottom