1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

paint or stain?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by carriehelene, Apr 27, 2009.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    I say paint on the exterior, carpenter boyfriend says stain. Which is better in your opinion? Siding is natural pine planks. Thinking sage green for siding with white for trim. Looking for durability and protection against bugs, heat, cold, etc., and there are carpenter bees and wasps in this area, don't want them using my coop for "collection services" lol. Thanks!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Stain will need repainting sooner than paint, BUT the prep involved is much much less. Paint (properly applied) lasts a bit longer but when time comes to redo it, you have to seriously get after any bits that are even just half-loose, or your new coat of paint will begin flaking almost immediately.

Beyond that, it's just aesthetic preference [​IMG] Paint does have a better ability to disguise low-grade or varying types of wood.

Good luck, ahve fun,

Pat

3. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    i am using thompsons super water seal outside and on the run frame, we are in a wet area.

i am not sure about toxicity, but the chickens have been around my deck that is tws sealed and dont ever peck at it.

the weather is so harsh, that in the spring, i just paint more seal on with no need of sanding.

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Methinks it's really more of a personal preference on how you want your coop to look....

I have T1-11 on the outside of my coop and stained it with waterproofing stain last fall. I was sad to see that it needed to be re-done in the spring. Only lasted 8 months in our harsh winter. However, this time I simply painted linseed oil/mineral spirits on the outside. It's what I have used on my teak patio furniture for over 10 years. Looks great. However, I'll probably need to do another coat in the fall before the snow flies. At least it doesn't peel up, so the prep work is really simple.

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

My personal opinion is for paint since stain needs to be reapplied more regularly.

Buy the best paint you can afford and don't skimp on the primer step. I can sometimes find okay colors for my murals in the opps paint at Lowes and Home Depot. I can get a $35.00 can of paint for $5.00. Habitat for Humanity has a lot as well for $3.00 to $5.00 a gallon, just know which ones are the durable ones. My current favorite is Behr Premium Plus Ultra with Nanoguard. Super durable so far on the projects I have used it on.

6. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    While I still don't have my chickens yet, we *have* had rabbits for a good long time, and the hutch we built has been out there maybe 10-12 years.

It's painted; matches the house, in fact. It has never been repainted in all that time, and it hasn't flaked. Keep in mind that we're talking about Ohio weather here, too, plenty of extremes in that time. The secret is to prime first and prime properly. Oh, and to use outdoor paint.

Now if the buns that are in there now would just quit trying to EAT the hutch...

1 person likes this.
  7. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    my vote is for stain. the solid stains available now are great. i stained the trim on my house, stained the coop saturday and the trim. i stay away from the transparent stains though unless you really want a slight suggestion of color only. if you like the 'look' of paint, without the gloss, use a solid stain. for more visible grain go with a semi solid.

8. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I have to chime in---just got paint for the temporary summer quarters for my 1 1/2 mo. olds.

Lowe's didn't have any cheap mistints (ya know, the good paint quality paint cans that they colored wrong), so I asked the clerk about the cheapest gallons that they carried.

She pointed me to Olympic brand construction grade, $13.97/gallon![​IMG]

EXTERIOR!![​IMG]:woot

The ONLY drawback, if it is one, is that you can only get pastelish shades. Like the birds care...........[​IMG]

POST PICS

PLEASE!!!!!

**Inquiring chickenlovers want to see**

9. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I went with the stain on my coop. I used Behr waterproof stain that I had used on my fence. It is very easy to use (water clean up) although it is an oil based stain. I had used it on my fence about 5 years ago and it only needed recoating this year as it had faded. On vertical surfaces it lasts a long time. If you stain the roof you may need to recoat more often than 5 years. I live in Alabama. I like the way it blends my coop into the background since it is in a very visible area. I'm attaching a picture of the coop, the run has yet to be attached. Hope the picture attaches.

10. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Try Again!!

We MEMBERS OF THIS AWESOME FORUM learn a lot from each other!

Thx:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by