paint roller trays as nest box liners?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TN Henny Penny, Mar 16, 2011.

1. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    We're putting the finishing touches on our first coop ever (for our first flock!). We like the idea of 'rollout' nests and my husband thought of using heavy duty plastic paint roller trays (new ones) in the bottom of the nest boxes so that the eggs would roll to one end for retrieval. Anyone tried this? We were tossing ideas around such as plastic kitty litter trays, etc. also. Thanks for any tips! The hens shouldn't be laying for about 12 weeks still, but we want to get the boxes laid out before they move in to the coop.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:I don't know if anyone has tried it, but it sounds like a pretty good idea!

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    try it and let us know what happens!

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

never thought of lining the nesting box... lift out, dump and hose down... easy peesy! [​IMG] Great! Thanks. [​IMG]

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I think it sounds like a great experiment! They're a good size for a nest box. I wonder, though, if the egg will roll over those ridges that turn the roller or if it will get stuck in the grooves? Maybe test that first before you commit to the idea.

I'm using plastic organizer bins from Wal-Mart's store brand section. They're also a good size and inexpensive if you decide you need more options.

6. TN Henny Penny

Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! We're waiting for our pullets to be old enough to lay....maybe at the end of June...we'll post how our experiment works out!

7. ittibittirainbow11

ittibittirainbow11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    If you dont want to wait that long try a store bought egg. If you dont have any ask a neighbor they might have one! [​IMG] You could always give it back after testing if all goes well lol It sounds like a good idea! Good Luck!!!! [​IMG]

8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:"Hi... may I borrow an egg? I just need to roll it around in a paint tray... I'll bring it right back... I promise." [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  9. TN Henny Penny

Jan 22, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] - Now why didn't I think of that? I guess we don't have to wait for the girls to produce one for us!

10. TN Henny Penny

Jan 22, 2011
    mmaddie's mom :

"Hi... may I borrow an egg? I just need to roll it around in a paint tray... I'll bring it right back... I promise." [​IMG]

[​IMG] I guess our 'city-folk' history is showing! Thanks for the humor this a.m. - you've brightened my morning! Linda​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by