Paint Silkies

Thank you. Thats what sparked my question. Appreciate though you reposting the link. Incase someone see this thread and wants to read more:)
Im looking for a definite answer.

I had them appear in some Silkies that I hatched from eggs I bought on eggbid. I had the birds for about six years and it was not until by chance i mated brother and sister and out came paints. The name of the seller was Reodig or something on that idea. I tried to look them up but eggbid is no longer. I only have one paint pullet and the black hen and her brother that carry the gene.

Sigrid Van Dort is the poultry geneticist and breeder that produced them in the Netherlands. She mentioned in her "Genetics of chicken colors" that some of the genetics are known, but the gene that is caused the "spots" is still unknown.

The spots come from a line of dominant white birds that are bred to blacks (or even blue). I do know a person that has been working with them for about 5 years but I'm not at liberty to share that information right now. They are working to improve the type to our U.S. SOP.

Quote:
You probably need to ask in the Genetics section at The-Coop. Lots of European breeders there. I will hazard a guess that it is Sigrid van Dort, but am not positive on that. I know she's had them a good ten or so years.

Back
Top Bottom