Paint/Stain for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by black_fx_35, Jul 18, 2010.

1. black_fx_35

black_fx_35 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I am in the process of constructing my coop, and am at the point where I need to paint it. Is there anything I need to keep in mind as far as paint/stain is concerned? Organic? Natural? Any specific products? I hope to not have to spend a lot of money on it....also, for the floor of my henhouse, should I paint and then put a layer of poly on it? Any suggestions are welcome. Hope to get it painted today if possible.

PS. How do I post pics??

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Any paint will do, just let it dry well and air out before putting your birds in. I am going to put linoleum in the floor of my coop, and had been thinking it might be good to put a coat of paint on it first...may not though, just depends on how much paint I find in my garage (I am not going to buy any for that). I am planning on painting the walls, though, mainly for ease of cleaning and to make it lighter inside during the winter. I have 2 windows also and I am sure that will help with the amount of light in there.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I stained the outside of my coop with regular wood stain, and painted the inside with a semi gloss latex paint that I had left over from another project. The only precaution to take is let the stain/paint dry completely before allowing the birds back in the area...be sure there is no lingering odor. Chickens don't chew on their housing like parrots do. Just be sure there are no paint drips to attract their interest.

Here's how you post pictures:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

Welcome to BYC!

4. black_fx_35

Mar 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the responses. Chicks dont come for another week, and they wont be in the coop for a number of weeks after that. So sounds like there shouldn't be any problems with sufficient time to allow the paint/stain to dry.

Here is a pic of the coop thus far. Need to get it painted, then hardware cloth and the front door....should be good to go in no time!

[​IMG]

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I grabbed some barn paint for my coop. $18.00 a gallon, & it's for exterior use, can't ask for a better deal in my opinion.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Looks very nice!

I'm wondering though about the roof for the enclosed part. Do you plan to give it a bit of slope so you don't have problems with leaking when it rains?

7. black_fx_35

Mar 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Quote:Yes, I will be adding angled rafters and and plastic like roofing material - so there will be a slope to keep the henhouse water free.

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I used stain on the exterior and low VOC primer and no VOC semi gloss white paint on the interior. I plan to paint the nest box with no VOC dark green paint. Your coop looks very cute![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by