paint yes or no?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by questions543, Mar 23, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    I'm designing/building a coop and my mum wants it to look good, I would like to paint it and I'm wondering if i could use general outdoor paint from a place like the home depot.. if i shouldn't is there a paint that I should use? Thanks

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    i plan on using outdoor paint on the outside of the coop, I dont know if it is safe for them on the inside so that will stay raw wood. I LOVE some of the colors I have seen painted on some coops shown on here! I want it to look nice too :)

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I used outdoor paint on the inside, mainly because that is all I had. Definitely paint if before they move in, it is a lot harder to do once they are there and the whole place is dirty.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My coop is painted inside and out to protect the wood and facilitate cleaning. Modern paints are inert once cured. A good coat of paint means that I could turn the hose on the coop and not fret about water damage. Most of the wood was painted prior to assembly. It is all exterior paint for durability. I used a primer coat and two finish coats, the same as I would for a dwelling.

I have not noticed any evidence of the chickens pecking the paint off of the wood.

Chris

5. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Home Depot paint inside and out would be a good thing for your coop. Take the time to do it right and you'll be glad you did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by