eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I use barn paint from walmart $14.00.

3. ScottandSam

ScottandSam I'm still here. Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    Have you every used good paint? Like everything in life you kind of get what you pay for.

Scott

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    There is no reason to use expensive paint on a chicken coop. It will be covered by crap in one week.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  5. ScottandSam

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    Yes but I like the fact that the paint stays on when I wipe the crud off. Being inside yes that is the area to skimp. I don't have experience with barn paint. I dont have a barn. But if I did have a barn I wouldn't want to paint it but once. My experience with paint is items I don't want to paint again like the inside of my coop.

Scott

6. Penguino1

Penguino1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    Just buy exterior paint or barn paint.

7. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I have been painting for a good while now.There are some latex enamels that could harm your birds. The less shine the less lethal.(thats why i use barn paint)Latex paint takes a good while to really cure sometimes 2 weeks. It will surface dry a long time before it fully cures.Having said that I would keep the birds away for 24 hrs, minimum if you are using latex enamel.Oil or laquer at least 72 hours.Good luck

8. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    If you aren't particular about color, check with the hardware stores for returns or oops mixes. Sometimes they have them at a discount.

9. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Agreed

10. ScottandSam

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    I don't live in a painted house nor have any paint on the walls of my house anymore but do paint wood and a lot every year. All different projects. Now that being said our products are for outside so they are exposed to the elements. Latex can peel and as mentioned takes longer to cure if applied thick. Our best lasting paint that we have used in the last 10 years since the government screwed it all up is oil based. When exposed it holds up the best. With that in mind I painted the inside of mine with left over oil based paint. When it was bought for the projects it was $62 a gallon. and in the last year my chicken have not done anything to the walls that I can't simply wipe off. So I do not recommend spending $60 a gallon but I have experience a lot with cheap paint and it was like water. Several coats to get a solid color and Time is money for me. So for me the less coats with a good protective paint on the wood was what I wanted. Everybody wants something different But I think we all agree Protect the wood.

Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by