1. chickenlickin'

chickenlickin' Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    I was just wondering [​IMG] .... after painting the inside of a coop how long should one wait until the chickens can be inside?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

till its dry...

3. chickenlickin'

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG] i guess that is simple.. so the fumes of the paint don't bother them?

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I would give it a couple of days unless you have fabulous ventilation in there, and even then at least a day.

I do A LOT of painting as a muralist and if it isn't "no" or "low V.O.C."s it will off gas for awhile still. I have gotten headaches in folks houses that painted with regular paint just before I did a mural. I now make sure it has been at least 3 or 4 days before starting, or I do it myself with low VOC paint and wait a day or 2. It can't be great for the chicks to breath either, especially if they are really little still. IMO.

5. chickenlickin'

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for the reply.. I really appreciate the info! [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd for sure wait til the fumes are gone -- to test, shut it up a little snugger than it'll be with chickens in, then stick your head in the next morning and see if you smell paint. If you do, I'd continue lettting it air out. Chickens' respiratory systems are somewhat on the vulnerable side.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. chickenlickin'

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks Pat i will take your advice and do this.. I certainly don't want to end up with any problems..! Thanks for your input
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by