Painted coop interiors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catchthewind, Apr 7, 2011.

1. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    I've been searching through the coop pages all morning, but most of them either don't show the insides, or the insides aren't painted. We want to paint the inside for several reasons: easier clean up, to make it brighter inside, and to help preserve the wood. I am going to the Restore to get some oops paint, and I have a feeling white isn't a common oops colour. [​IMG] I'm going to try and get a dark brown for the roosts and nest box, but want something lighter for the walls and ceiling. Anyway, anyone care to share pictures of their painted coop interiors, especially non-white or at least not all white?

2. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Probably won't find white, but you might because sometimes they have spillage (3/4ths of a gallons from a 1 gallon can)

We found a pastel/light green can of oops paint. It's nice and light colored.

If i recall, I've seen beige, light gray and light purple oops paint that could work just fine for a coop.

3. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Mine is not painted yet but we are using Barn and Fence paint. White inside and trim, Red outside.

4. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

We found porch paint on clearance at Walmart for $5 a can. So our coop is "Battleship Gray" inside and out!

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My coop is bright green, blue, orange and purple [​IMG]

6. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Mine is white in iside.. bacause.. LOL/ its what paint I happened to have left over enough of.. I would have painted it yellow, tan, anything but white.. but its what I did have

xoxoxo

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have one shed that is lime green inside. Floor and walls.
    I have a tractor that is red inside and out and is fine for light.
    My laying flock coop inside is a peachy color on one wall, blue on another and tan on yet another with an open plank boards and poultry wire to divide it from the ducks and they have just plywood walls.
    I am building 2 duck coops now. The inside will be the same as the outside. One is peach (Gotta love that color. It makes me smile.) with orange trim and the other is baby blue, probably will have black trim.

I like light, bright colors and since I work in these all day, every day then I want them to be happy colors.

8. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    We painted the inside of our henhouse pure white gloss - easy to clean, add more light to see, since there is no light in there. We used leftover house paint for the outside, it matches now and looks cute. I would not hesitate to paint the inside again. I try to touch up every Spring when I do a good cleaning of the inside. I am sure the girls enjoy it too.

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Personally, I would paint the walls just about any color other than white. Brown would be much better, as it's already pretty much the color of poo and will show splatters and dust much less than a white surface would.

10. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Very funny Elmo. THat is idea of the white interior to SEE the poo, etc. If the roosts are not too close to the walls, they are not bad at all. It all gets cleaned good in the Spring anyway. I personally would rather see the yuck so I know where it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by