Painted plywood as roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BobcatKen, Sep 25, 2012.

1. BobcatKen

BobcatKen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2008
    Mountain View, CA
    I'm in the planning stages for building a small coop. The roof could be covered by a plywood sheet that is 4'x8'. If I just painted it, would that be enough to handle the rain and sun? We have mild weather here in northern California so I don't need to be concerned about snow. The roof would have a slight pitch so that rainwater shouldn't puddle on top. I've never shingled anything and I don't know if it's necessary to bother with learning about it for such a small project. Thanks in advance.

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    I would recommend a sheet of tin or shingle of some sort on it. Rain is really hard on plywood, even if it's painted. If you don't want to be re-roofing it anually, or more often, the tin is worth the money. You could watch craigs-list or the local paper, usually you can find something inexpensive.

3. RaspyRoosterFarms

RaspyRoosterFarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Painting it would make it last a little while longer, but it will eventually leak and rot. If you weren't wanting to put a whole lot into it, you could just cover the plywood with a tarp and nail it in under the edges. That way the plywood would keep the tarp from sagging and the tarp keep your plywood dry. I go with the heavy duty type tarp though, I know they come in 4x8 size.

4. oldcluck

oldcluck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    If you want cheap protection from the elements for your roof. buy a roll of asphalt saturated felt or what we used to refer to as tar paper. It isn't very expensive and will last a lot longer than painted plywood if nailed down properly. Shingles would be more durable however.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Plywood isn't intended to be left exposed, even painting won't help. Cover it with tin, steel roofing or roll roofing.

6. Brucepierce

Brucepierce Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    I just learned to apply shingles last week and found it to be easy and I enjoyed it...I bought a 1/4 square of shingles for $20.00-ish at Lowes and had the job done in no time. I'd do it again.​

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree with also covering the plywood with something other than paint. I did one coop with shingles and I love the look I did the other 2 with ice and water shield not as pretty but its protecting the roofs. If your gonna put time and money into chicken owning and time and money into building a coop. Id spend the little extra time and money to protect the roof. Otherwise your coop may not be in good shape next year. Just my 2 sense and what I live by, If your gonna do something do it right the first time.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. BobcatKen

BobcatKen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2008
    Mountain View, CA
    Thanks for the info everybody! I appreciate the responses.

9. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Instead of plywood, depending on how hot it got it gets there of a summer I'd try to put up fiberglass pannels or if it gets hot there then a tin roof with a light color of paint on it, fiberglass lets in natural light.

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd definitely consider alternatives like corrugated roofing panels. Just be careful that you don't create an oven rather than a coop. The most important things where you live are heaps and heaps of ventilation and overhead cover for the rainy winter months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by