Painted-vs-Black Jack coop flooring??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ccrawford61, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ccrawford61

ccrawford61 New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    For those who have a preference...painting a covered plywood floor coop or use the Black Jack rubberized material? Getting my 1st pullets soon and am to the point it's time to start painting the coop. The coop is covered so water isn't an issue, keeping the coop very clean and having healthy chickens are. Would sure appreciate advice for the flooring. Thanks!

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The paint on the plywood will only last so long due to constant exposure to damp bedding in spring/winter, scratching chicken feet, and scraping with pitchfork/shovel. Plywood will start deteriorating rapidly once exposed to moisture. You could use treated plywood and paint but it will only gain you a couple years.

IMO the blackjack is well worth the expense. You can put it on thick and it *should* theoretically last you the life of the coop.

3. ccrawford61

ccrawford61 New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    Thanks so much for your input! I believe we are leaning towards the Black Jack. Have a great weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by