1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Painting a roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kris64, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Kris64

Kris64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    Black Mountain, NC
    I've painted our coop inside and out with Livestock Safe paint for protection to the wood and I've read that that'll help deter mites. What about the roosts? Any thoughts on painting these? Or using pressure-treated? I'm looking for protection against mites and for ease of cleaning. Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The paint will get scratched off in no time. Of the various approaches I've seen here, I like best simply oiling an unfinished board with some sort of veggie oil now and then. Or, use a fat tree branch and just change it out now and then.

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    do you then set up a video camera to watch them slip and slide??? [​IMG] J/K..........I would worry about vegetable oil attracting bugs, but then that just gives the girls something to do

4. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    Yesterday I read an article about painting the roost bar with linseed oil to keep mites from residing in it. I don't have the link but it should come up on Google.

5. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    linseed oil is a great preservative too.

6. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015
    If I paint my roost bars with linseed oil, can I whitewash over them once they're dry?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  7. Kris64

Kris64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    Black Mountain, NC
    Good idea! I'm looking further into the use of linseed oil now. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  8. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015
    I got a "historic whitewash recipe" off the Ask The Builder website and bought the ingredients to make it. It's supposed to prevent parasites and bad bacteria. I had a pharmacist order the Alum because I couldn't find that, but the other ingredients are a 50 lb bag of lime from TSC, salt, and unsulphered molasses.

9. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    did you coat them with the linseed oil? I don't know why it would be necessary to do both

10. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015

I agree, no need to do both, so I'm going to use the historic whitewash recipe: Hydrated Lime powder, Alum, Unsulphered Molasses, Salt, and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by