Painting coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jferlisi, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i am going to be painting my coop soon, and i wanted to know if i can paint it with the chickens being housed in it. They free range in the day until the go in at night around 7:30. Can i still paint it or now? also do i need to use a certain type of paint for it and can/should i paint the inside? Also does anyone have any suggestions on nice colors? Thanks everyone.

Jferlisi.

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

No, don't paint with them in it --- but they can go in when it's dry.
    The fresh fumes would be alot for them, and I was painting the other day and one of mine was looking at the paint in the can like it would make a tasty drink, so be careful.
    You should only use exterior paint, and an exterior primer first. Gloss is recommended.
    Nice colors ... yellow / peach / green / beige / bright white.
    I have some photos on my page, I painted ours.
    Good luck!

3. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    I have seen alot of coop pictures and they are painted on the inside. The outside of my coop is painted exactly like my house right down to the same color trim.

4. DavidS

DavidS New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Hello! My name is David and I'm new to having chickens and participating in this forum. I am using a shed for my coop, with T11 on the exterior and particle board on the inside of the doors. I painted my shed, and I have chickens pecking away at the paint. I am hoping this doesn't affect the eggs. Not all of the chickens are doing it. Anyone else having this problem?

5. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens Peck at EVERYTHING. It is not a problem unless they start to EAT the wood and the paint, and plastic, and nails and , well, you get the idea, they are worse than little children. If there is a hole, they will will pick, just put a few bright red spots on the wall, and they will peck it full of holes right there. They are curious about the color red for some reason, more than any other. Bad for wounded birds, good for finding water spouts.

PS. I dont name my food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by