Painting galvanized feeders and waterers

fraserfarmette

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 19, 2014
Victoria BC
Hi guys, this is my first post! I have been reading on this site off and on for a few months, but we are finally nearing our 'chick' date. We have ordered our babies for March 2015. I imagine I will spend the next three months messing around in the garden and the house making things perfect for our girls. The project I would like to start now is painting designs or pictures on the feeder and waterer that I have for them. I just have the big galvanized metal kind (maybe we should have built the PVC kind and saved some money, but I didn't see that in time). I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what type of paint or finish you used. Obviously I want to make sure that the paint is not going to run in the rain, especially on the waterer which will be uncovered.
Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

I personally wouldn't paint them.

Rustoleum (and I'm sure others) make a food safe line of paints - although many modern paints are pretty close to inert once cured nowadays, so I'm not sure how much difference there is.

The food container you can use pretty much anything I would think - it's more the water container where you're going to have painted surfaces submerged in water.

One of those Resteraunt Supply type places may be a good place to check - I'm sure they've got paints for ovens and such- not sure where else you would find food safe paint.

They prep work is the key to make the paint stick. The metal needs to be cleaned and scuffed first and even them your chickens will destroy it in short order.

I got a galvanized waterer and it rusted like crazy ): I hate to use plastic so tere current water is a glass pie pan ontop of the de freezer base. I want to create a glass waterer so bad.

Do a search on painting galvanized surfaces.

It can be done, but you will need to prepare "etch" the surface prior to painting, for the paint to "stick" properly to the galvanized metal.

Recently I bought treadle feeders and painted the "vulnerable parts", there is a special paint that sticks to galvanised steel. but I don't know if it is safe to be in contact with food. as the parts I painted are on the outside.
I didn't do anything special just got a brush and there we go. I didn't notice any paint falling or fading

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom