1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Painting inside of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mi2bugz, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    We painted the inside if the coop for more natural lighting and to brighten it up. Now it smells like paint 3 days later! We have it open during the day to air out. It should be completely free of paint smell before the chicks go in right? Any idea how long that would take? Chicks have out grown brooder due to heavy rain and me being sick :(.

Thanks for any advice.

~ Nicole

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    If it has been wet outside, it will take the paint longer to dry. Also, if you painted wet wood, it may never dry...

Yes as it drys the smell goes away, but it will stick around for a bit even after it has dried completely. Think about when you paint a room in the house, and how long it can smell like fresh paint. It should be okay if it has a little odor, bigger concern is vapor. Could always put a fan in it for a day or two to speed things up

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Thank you! I don't know why I didn't think of a fan :(. This coop project has been more challenging than I anticipated lol,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by