1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Painting interior

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    What kind of paint is best to use for the interior of a coop? Do I need to let it cure for a while before letting chicks live in it ( fumes)?

Thanks!

2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    we used barn paint(white) and then an interior paint to make washing the walls easier.

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I primed mine with kilz and then painted with some old leftover paint. I would think if you gave it a day to dry that would be fine before putting them in there.

4. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I primed with oil based Kilz then painted the floor with porch paint and the walls with kitchen/bath paint (both from the Habitat Restore). One day to let the final coat dry and any fumes dissipate and the chicks moved in. That was about 5 weeks ago and no issues so far. And the poop cleans up great, even the stuff that somehow misses the shavings.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Gave mine a couple coats of high gloss white. Keeps the insode of the coop brighter and cleans easily. Once the paint was fully dried, their fuzzy butts when in!

6. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I have been using what left over paints that i had . Anything from satin to semi-gloss to exterior grade . After all its just a coop,right ?

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I painted my with Sherwin Williams both inside and outside. You should not put chicken in there right away.

8. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I did not use paint on the inside, I used SPARR URETHANE,,, the kind used on boats. Makes the wood water proof and easy to clean. the poo does not stick to it, I just use a wide broom to sweep after removing the wood chips with a flat shovel.
    I just made sure it was dry and odor free before put in wood shavings and chicks. My chicks are now 13 weeks old and doing fine. even spilled water is easy clean up , and they are experts at spilling their water.

9. ChickieWoo

ChickieWoo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Michigan
    I primed the inside with 2 coats of Kilz, then 2 coats of off white semi-gloss paint. The walls cleaned up really easy thanks to the suggestion from the girl at Lowes on what to get. I also did the same with the nest boxes but instead of painting them white I did a brown color to make it a little darker inside.

10. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I painted the inside with 2 coats of an exterior self-priming paint similar to Kilz.
    For 2 smaller walls I primed with gray exterior house trim primer and then 2 coats of an exterior semi-gloss colorful paint.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by