Painting kitchen cabinets?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Has anyone done this?

Specifically in a manufactured home with "fake wood" cabinets?

I'd like to paint them & add new hardware as it would be pointless to invest a ton of $$ into a trailer house that we're not planning on living in for the rest of our lives. [​IMG]

I've heard things about removing the doors, lightly sanding, using specific paints (or not), using wood putty to fix imperfections....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~Heather

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes, I have done it and it works good. For the fake cabinets, I roughed them up a little bit with sandpaper and it gave it a somewhat rustic look - we painted them white. Made a HUGE difference in the house.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Make sure to buff them up with some sandpaper, wipe them down to get the dust off and have at it. Works fine.

Happy painting! [​IMG]

4. Ginger Chic

Ginger Chic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast Georgia
    I used to design kitchens & bathrooms and sell the cabinets for a small building products chain here in Georgia. Let me warn you, if you are going to sand... BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL! The veneers on the lower end cabinets are paper thin.

The puddy is a great necessity. The white melamine chips badly. You can use enamel paint to paint over, but it works best with a thin smear of puddy.

Talk to someone in the cabinet dept at your local Home Depot and get their advice. It has been my experience that they will be understanding about situations such as yours where you ARE NOT going to purchase a whole new kitchen's worth of cabinets.

Good Luck!

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Cool! That's the look I'm going for--white & rustic. Do you have any pics? What kind of paint did you use? Oil based?

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:You've got to remove the doors, first, correct?

Thanks!

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thank you! Thankfully, they just opened a Home Depot here last year...and we've been regulars! LOL

8. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    We did this, and the key for us was the sanding and using a good primer basecoat first!

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Ohhh...that's good to know.

So far--I have:

Remove the doors, putty imperfections, lightly sand, put on new knobs, primer, paint?

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You've got to remove the doors, first, correct?

Thanks!

OMG you are so funny!!! Yes, we used an oil based paint, we also used a rough brush too for the outer trim. I don't have pics - it was a few years ago at an old house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by