Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone done this?

Specifically in a manufactured home with "fake wood" cabinets?

I'd like to paint them & add new hardware as it would be pointless to invest a ton of $$ into a trailer house that we're not planning on living in for the rest of our lives.
smile.png

I've heard things about removing the doors, lightly sanding, using specific paints (or not), using wood putty to fix imperfections....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~Heather

Yes, I have done it and it works good. For the fake cabinets, I roughed them up a little bit with sandpaper and it gave it a somewhat rustic look - we painted them white. Made a HUGE difference in the house.

I used to design kitchens & bathrooms and sell the cabinets for a small building products chain here in Georgia. Let me warn you, if you are going to sand... BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL! The veneers on the lower end cabinets are paper thin.

The puddy is a great necessity. The white melamine chips badly. You can use enamel paint to paint over, but it works best with a thin smear of puddy.

Talk to someone in the cabinet dept at your local Home Depot and get their advice. It has been my experience that they will be understanding about situations such as yours where you ARE NOT going to purchase a whole new kitchen's worth of cabinets.

Good Luck!

Quote:
You've got to remove the doors, first, correct?

Thanks!

OMG you are so funny!!! Yes, we used an oil based paint, we also used a rough brush too for the outer trim. I don't have pics - it was a few years ago at an old house.

Back
Top Bottom