painting my coop

mixedflockmomma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
I'm thinking of painting the inside of my 3 coops. My thought was to use a latex/water whitewash and dusting with DE b4 the white wash dried. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
As a pro painter I'm just curious why you would dilute the latex and make a whitewash? I'm a big fan of DE but would dust the walls after the paint film had dried. I don't know if the DE would be of any benifit when it is applied to the whitewash in a wet state. What is on the walls currently? Let me know and I might be able to share some insight.

I am on a very limited budget, so everything I want to build must be done from what I can get for free or am given. The walls of my coop are bare (studs only), as I havent had had any plywood to cover them. I only have a small amount of paint, several small jars or paint samples I was given. Trying to make it go as far as I can, hence the white wash idea. Also, I had heard of using DE as a whitewash. So I thought to ad the DE to a paint whitewash so I wouldnt have to reapply it as often. Therefore, making my bag of DE last longer.

My hen house. Back wall is alumminum semi trailer (my barn), and the white is the vinyl sidding I used to cover the outside of my coop.

You really don't need to paint anything....and DE is debatable as to it's efficacy.

So forget about both and that will save you some money right there!

Spend your money on predator proofing with good wire mesh.

I agree to put your resources into predator proofing. Your paint will peel especially if it is sample grade. Sample paint is not formulated for metal.

I'm not worried about predators. We've had several failed attempts by coons since moving my birds to it at night. Any opening are covered by a good quality hardware cloth with tons of fence staples to secure it. My main reason for painting was to make the wood easier to clean, not for aesthetics.

If there are any paint stores in your area stop in and ask to see their mis-tints. Ask the manager to make you a deal. Not uncommon to be able to buy a quality paint for $5 a gallon or less when it has been made the wrong color. Use an exterior paint if possible. Stores in my area give unsold mis-tints to charity. Usually eager to get rid of it.

Just a note that if you use the deep litter method, you won't want to use DE over the litter as it kills the beneficial organisms that make the deep litter method work.

Just a note that if you use the deep litter method, you won't want to use DE over the litter as it kills the beneficial organisms that make the deep litter method work.

Why would it not be okay to use DE in deep litter bedding? It's okay to use in the compost pile and the deep litter method is the same organisms at work performing the same process.

Back
Top Bottom