Painting nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cottonwood23, Mar 6, 2016.

1. cottonwood23

cottonwood23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia
    I have a couple make shift wood nesting boxes with legs that stand about 2 feet tall with a ramp and board out front of them.. I was wondering if it would be OK to (1) spray paint the boxes to help seal them (2) make them a little more appealing (3) make it darker for them to lay in

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds good to me, just make sure they air out well before they go into use. Chickens have delicate respiratory systems, fumes could be risky, especially in an enclosed nest. But once they are aired out and no fumes are being given off it should be great.

3. Chicks4fun2

Chicks4fun2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    i sealed mine makes it much easier to clean but i used a exterior paint not spray paint.. i know i personally can't stand the fumes and in a enclosed space i don't think the chickens would either.. but sealing is a good idea keeps the nesting boxes so much cleaner![​IMG]

4. Chicks4fun2

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    oh and even after the spray paint has dried the paint continues to off gas for a long time after. so i would stay away from the spray paint.

5. cottonwood23

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia

Ok but an exterior paint would be fine ? And what type of paint would you suggest for wood?

6. Chicks4fun2

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    I used a porch/ floor paint cause thats what I had on hand. But I would use any latex exterior paint, you can get it at a hardware store... There are almost no fumes and it will be much better for you and your chicks lungs :)

7. McKinneyMike

McKinneyMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    If you are really concerned look for a "Low VOC" exterior paint. Home Depot and I am sure that Lowe's would have it available. A latex enamel would be a great choice.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. cottonwood23

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia

Thanks for the info that's what I will have to get

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by