Painting our coop - What to use

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Abbiem00, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Abbiem00

Abbiem00 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Hello again,

I've been reading, for a while now, about painting coops. Our new "used" coop looks like it was stained redwood.

I think paint would make it easier to clean - and nicer to look at. I need to know how safe and which paints.

I also saw "whitewash" and "Primer".

My friend, who came with me today to pick up 2 little chicks, wants to help me paint it white and a light teal.
    I don't have a problem with that - as long as she helps...lol

SO...what I need to know is - what is the best way and safe way to make us a cute little coop???

Thanks,
    Abbie

2. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Just get a good exterior grade paint that will stand up to the weather and give it 2 good coats....or more. Should only have to repaint/refresh it every year or so....more of a touch up/maintenance after the first go around.
    I used an exterior grade paint and put 3 coats on it...ask the paint section for a good exterior grade...they run $16-19 a can

1 person likes this.
  3. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    What are you painting over? Is it previously used material? I doubt it is stained redwood, but rather some cheaper wood stained red to look like redwood. If this is previously used and stained material, I'm not sure what the best procedure would be. But I would think twice before painting over stain. But that's just an educated guess. If you want to paint it, I think a primer would really help to prepare that old stained surface. But then again, maybe a couple coats of exterior paint is all you need. Behr Paint, available at Home Depot, sells a primer and paint combined product which I find interesting but have never used.
    Behr Paint/Primer

1 person likes this.
  4. Abbiem00

Mar 1, 2015
    Thank You!!!

I think I will try that Behr paint with the primer.

5. Abbiem00

Mar 1, 2015
    I don't know how to tell if it's real stain or not. How can I tell?

Hubby and I will be hitting it with a power sprayer this weekend. Not sure what that's going to do to it.

Ace is having a paint can sale 2 for 1. It starts the 23rd. A can of light teal and one white for trim.

Wonder how it would work putting the outside teal in my bathroom upstairs...lol

6. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    Stain is a liquid that tends to soak into the wood. It won't have a discreet thickness. Paint on the other hand lays a thin coat on top. If you can chip it or scrape it off into little flakes, it's paint. If you can dig down into the wood a tiny bit and still see the color, it's stain.

The power sprayer is a good idea. I would prefer to see a coat of primer laid down first, but you're not painting the Sistine Chapel. I'm sure it will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by