Painting over wire cloth. Ok to do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nelliebean, Apr 7, 2011.

1. nelliebean

nelliebean New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Greetings, Fellow Cluckers~

Because of my coon paranoia, I plan to wrap the bottom four feet of the coop with hardware wire cloth.

Will painting it damage the wire or make it any less effective? I'm trying to keep the coop from

looking like Pelican Bay prison.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Paint shouldn't hurt the wire at all. Depending on the paint, it might end up peeling off, though.

FWIW, I painted most of coop before adding the wire, but there are some parts where I'm going to have to paint over the wire. My only oncern is that it will look a little sloppy. I have to keep reminding myself that it's only a hen house, and likely no humans other than DW and I will ever see it. [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    OK, tho not gonna last well. That shouldn't be an issue tho since you're only proposing painting bits 'by accident' not on purpose [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I've done this, once by spray painting and another time using a roller, but only for small amounts of wire. The wire over the vents and windows still looks in good condition because it rarely comes in contact with anything to nick or scrape the paint. The wire apon, however, is not holding up so well, although that's much less visible than the windows or vents anyway.

By the way, I usually use black vinyl coated wire for aesthetic reasons. That's another option, and the vinyl coating is much more durable than paint.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    We painted our hardware cloth only b/c we got paint on it after painting the coop.[​IMG]

6. Momoflilgs

Momoflilgs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Could you use spray paint made for metal surfaces? I like the look of the darker wire. It's easier to see the chickens!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have to admit that the coops I saw with the run wire painted black looked fantastic.

8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Just find paint that is suitable for painting over Galvanization. Then follow the instructions. You may have to go over the wire first with something to take off any oil that may be on the wire. Then paint with a roller or spray.... though I would do a roller. something with some fluff to it so the bristles will wrap around.

Rustoleum paint is pretty good stuff I have used it on Expanded mesh on my horse carriage. Plus it gives a little when steel flexes. And if there is a little rust it will cover and nutralize.

As far as changing effectivity.... no if anything it will protect the wire longer.

9. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

To best paint welded wire mesh, get a buddy, and each of you use a roller. One of you paint from the inside, the other on the outside. This way, you're getting complete coverage and are much less likely to have edges of paint that can peel away faster. Spraying might be faster, but you'll be getting much more paint on other stuff than on the wire.

:)

~Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by