Painting Question ??? Inside the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UrbanChick101, Aug 11, 2010.

1. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I posted a message earlier, although I don't think I titled it properly. I need to paint my feeding box (my husband built today) and the nesting boxes he is going to build tomorrow. Hopefully, our city will start letting us get permits within the week and we can get our 6 Buff Orpingtons at the same time. However, the little house we have for the girls is not painted inside, i have read some that YOU DO want to paint, it helps with moisture? And I have read something about painting with Lyme in the paint. Just wondering what the best paint is to use for the things that will be in the girls' coop. I would l ove any information one may have, especially about lyme or vinegar in the paint.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

Sorry I don't know...maybe someone will answer soon?

3. natalie katja

natalie katja Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Bay Minette, AL
    I don't know but... Free bump!

4. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Not sure about Lyme or vinegar in the paint but I painted the entire inside with 2 coats of floor and porch paint. Clean up is very easy when it is painted.

5. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    I'm just in the process of painting my coop! I'm using an interior/exterior latex paint, 2 coats of white, that I picked up for free at the chemical waste depot [​IMG] It's the best place to get free paint! In the spring when I need to do a deep clean, I can just hit it with a hose and some soap [​IMG]

6. bobzilla58

bobzilla58 New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    I don't know about the Lyme or vinegar either, but I would suggest Behr Premium Plus Exterior Satin Enamel, available from Home Depot. I think it is supposed to be primer and paint in one product. I used Utra Pure White on the coop I built this past May and I am overjoyed at the result. It is like a coat of armor on the wood. You will want to apply 3 coats on any surfaces that require periodic scrubbing.

7. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    The doctor said mix the Lime with the coconut!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by