Painting the coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Doebob, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Doebob

Doebob Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    Hi all,
    I am a new chicken mama. My babies are coming first week of June. I have a prefab coop that I plan on building for their first summer/fall while I convert my shed into a large coop. I am now in the process of painting this prefab coop to make it look better in the backyard. I figured I would only paint the outside and leave the inside the same as the manufacturer left it. My husband thinks I should paint the inside as well. I am afraid the paint on the inside will hurt the chicks if they start to peck at it. The paint is a standard outside grade latex paint. Am I right to worry about it, or will they not peck at their coop?

2. ScottandSam

ScottandSam I'm still here. Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    WE used blackjack57 roofing rubber paint for the floors and oil based paint on the walls. None of our birds 1 yr old to 10 week old can chip either paint. In fact I used a putty knife to scrape up geese poop and it did nothing to the blackjack 57 or oil based paint.

Oh geese cant chip either paint. I stay away from laytex cause I can chip that paint with my finger nail.

Background....... We are woodworkers and wife chainsaw carver so we paint a lot of stuff year round. So oil based was a no questions choice. only down side was brushes had to clean out and have to use mineral sprits but that just the nature of the beast.

Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by