painting the in side of the coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by boat309, Jan 19, 2014.

1. boat309

boat309 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    south shore mass
    so I was thinkin about painting the inside of my coop with exterior house paint so that I could hose it down when clean. would this be a problem for the birds like will they eat it??

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No problem. Many people do. Gloss or semi gloss probably holds up to washing best.

3. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I used Behr Barn Paint inside our coop. It cleans easily and is non-toxic around animals.

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We painted the interior of our coop as well. -no problems at all, and it does clean nicely!

5. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I have painted walls in my coop but by the roosts the walls are all poopy so this summer I am going to white wash them with a lime mixture and move the roost out a few more inches. I heard that white wash helps with mites and such. I haven't seen any problems with mites but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Can't hurt right?

1 person likes this.
  6. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I have read that while high gloss is easier to clean, it is also harder to repaint and you have to rough it up before applying a new coat. So I am opting for a semigloss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by