Painting the inside of a henhouse?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by seven acres, Apr 6, 2012.

1. seven acres

seven acres New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    Hello,

I'm converting an old shed into a henhouse and would like to paint the inside - not for aesthetics but just to clean up the surfaces.

Any advice on safe products to use would be greatly appreciated (I've heard heard whitewash made from lime is good...?)

Thanks!

Bob

2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    We've just used regular semi-gloss paint and let it air out to get rid of any paint fumes. The chickens have been fine. Haven't hear about the whitewash but I don't think it would hurt anything.

3. Peter1975

Peter1975 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Go with the whitewash method, mix up hydrated lime with salt and water and get stuck in. Redmite hate it and it has a similar effect to diomacious earth, it's looks nice and clean and serves a purpose. My old Dad has raced pigons for 40 years and swears by it, over diatome in fact. Heres a link to the basics....

http://www.bozzle.com/pb_Whitewash.html

4. seven acres

seven acres New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for the advice!

5. Peter1975

Mar 31, 2012
    No probs!

6. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    DH picked up these bathroom wall panels at Lowes for easy cleaning. Prior to this I had poop shelves and painted walls. After a year of washing down walls of flying poo, the paint started to wash off. These panels have been easy in my opinion.

Also took away the poop shelves and just went with sand. I scoop it up every morning and no more scrubbing shelves. Daisy seems to approve of the new changes.

[​IMG]

7. Peter1975

Mar 31, 2012
    Posh

8. seven acres

seven acres New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    Nice set-up.

9. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    We painted the inside of ours with Minwax (Helmsman) Spar Urethane, and have been very happy with the results. The coop is going on two years old now and still looks very good inside. There are pictures of what it looked like when we were finished painting it here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/07/04/new-chicken-coop-protection/ The Spar Urethane is also supposed to be safe for around animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by