Painting the inside of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BrickCoop15, Sep 25, 2013.

1. BrickCoop15

BrickCoop15 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2013
    I would like to paint the inside of my coop while the weather is still warm enough. The problem I have is the coop is currently occupied. If I use a low odor and zero voc paint , would it be safe to allow the chickens back into the coop the same evening? A window would be left open for ventilation. I would appreciate any input. I know that birds have sensitive respiratory systems and I do not want to harm them.

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    With adequate ventilation you should be good. I would just do the sniff test before you let them beck in and have a contingency plan if you can smell the paint at all.

1 person likes this.
  3. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Maybe paint first thing in the morning, leave it wide open with a fan running to help drying during the day, and I'm thinking if it were me I wouldn't have a problem with letting my girls back in by dark.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Latex paint, two coats including primer will be ready by dark. As well ventilated as a chicken coop is, the fumes will waft away quickly and not be a problem. I would venture that if you painted your bedroom, you wouldn't fret at all about it.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by