Painting the inside of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sew the Farmers Wife, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Sew the Farmers Wife

Sew the Farmers Wife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Palmyra
    We have recently converted an old shed my husbands father built 20 years ago into a coop. It's previous occupant was a goat (20 years ago), and my SIL never cleaned it out a final time when the goat passed away [​IMG] She gave it to us goat poop and all, I cleaned it very well, but the walls are pretty stained. I would love to paint the walls put because I have moved chicks into the old coop, I really do not have any place to put the big girls while the paint odors fade.

Can you use a no VOC paint in the morning, run fans all day and have them in it that night?

Hindsight is 20/20, I really should have painted the coop while we were fixing it up...

Thanks!

2. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    I think it will probably dry up in a day. I would worry less about the VOC levels and get the one that drys faster (or is that related, low VOC = fast drying?). Most paints are dry to the touch after a few hours, so unless you are going to paint roosts and floor you should be fine IMO.

3. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Just open it up and it should be fine after 4-5 hours. A nice Brown paint to hide "splashes?

4. Sew the Farmers Wife

Sew the Farmers Wife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Palmyra
    Thanks, the brown is a good idea! I was just worried the fumes may bother them at night. But we have pretty good venilation...

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...they also sell that paint that's a primer and paint in one...which should hide stains even if you chose a light or bright color... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by