Painting the inside of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TallJ, Aug 9, 2013.

1. TallJ

TallJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    We recently purchased a coop for our chickens. The fence is nearly done and the girls are more than ready to go outside! I don't want to ruin the wood, as we want to have this coop last years and years! The inside is unfinished wood, I was thinking if painting it so I can scrub is down/protect the wood. Any suggestions on what paint to use? I'd hate to paint and then find out "Oh, that isn't safe for chickens."

[​IMG]

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    A high gloss white works nice, the glossier the more durable. It makes for easier clean up you might want to put a piece of vinyl on the floor or sticky tiles so you can give I a good cleaning when needed.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A coat of primer and two coats of exterior gloss paint will give you the best protection for the wood and ease of cleaning.

Chris

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I put up a coat of Zinsser primer for mildew prevention and then two coats of an exterior semigloss. I'd suggest looking at the mistints pile for good paint at a low price.

5. TallJ

TallJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    I figured glossy for cleanability, but would water or oil based be safer?

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

I used oil-based. Heavy fumes for a day, lingering stink for a few days. If you have the time to air it out, not a problem. If you only have 24 hours, go low-odor latex. I just think the oil-based holds up better and makes a nicer finish when you're brushing a glossy paint so when I saw it cheap, I grabbed it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by