1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Painting the inside of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TallJ, Aug 9, 2013.

1. TallJ

TallJ In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    We recently purchased a coop for our chickens. The fence is nearly done and the girls are more than ready to go outside! I don't want to ruin the wood, as we want to have this coop last years and years! The inside is unfinished wood, I was thinking if painting it so I can scrub is down/protect the wood. Any suggestions on what paint to use? I'd hate to paint and then find out "Oh, that isn't safe for chickens."

[​IMG]

2. jetdog

jetdog Songster

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    A high gloss white works nice, the glossier the more durable. It makes for easier clean up you might want to put a piece of vinyl on the floor or sticky tiles so you can give I a good cleaning when needed.

3. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A coat of primer and two coats of exterior gloss paint will give you the best protection for the wood and ease of cleaning.

Chris

4. debid

debid Crowing 7 Years

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I put up a coat of Zinsser primer for mildew prevention and then two coats of an exterior semigloss. I'd suggest looking at the mistints pile for good paint at a low price.

5. TallJ

TallJ In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    I figured glossy for cleanability, but would water or oil based be safer?

6. debid

debid Crowing 7 Years

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

I used oil-based. Heavy fumes for a day, lingering stink for a few days. If you have the time to air it out, not a problem. If you only have 24 hours, go low-odor latex. I just think the oil-based holds up better and makes a nicer finish when you're brushing a glossy paint so when I saw it cheap, I grabbed it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: