painting the INSIDE of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sacchick, Feb 6, 2014.

1. sacchick

sacchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento,CA
    My Coop
    Sorry if there is a new thread already on this subject...I found some older ones but was wondering what the thought on this is. My new coop is being delivered 2/11, so excited can't wait, and I have planned the stain for the outside. My questions are:
    Any health issues if I paint the inside with Latex semi gloss?
    Would you paint the roosts as well?
    I am thinking it would clean up much better than untreated wood......Thoughts???

2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    As long as the paint is dry before introducing your chickens, you should be fine. But, you really don't need to paint the inside unless you want to spend money needlessly.

3. sacchick

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento,CA
    My Coop
    Thanks, anyone out there that painted inside and regrets it? If you did paint does it clean easier? I am spending a fair bit to get the coop I want and one that is made well to last just made sense to me that inside paint might help it last......

4. UseEveryColor

UseEveryColor New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I didn't paint the inside of my first coop and it cleaned up fine with the hay straw I had in there. I'm starting the build on my second coop this weekend and I don't plan on painting the inside.

5. keystone

keystone Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Omaha,NE
    I think painting the inside will make cleaning the dust off much easier. I ran out of time this fall to paint the inside of my new coop and the 10 chickens have made it very dusty. I plan on using leftover semi gloss on the walls this spring. No health concerns from water based paints.

6. sacchick

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento,CA
    My Coop
    Thanks!!! I think I will do it. I get chicks in 2 weeks and will be brooding inside so I have time. I think a creamy yellow might be nice LOL

7. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I think a coop looks nicer with the inside painted. If painted a light color it reflects light better and it's easier to see. When you look at coop pictures, the unpainted ones look unfinished to me. Also, I would think paint would deter mites some (fewer crevices).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by