Painting the interior of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jessie_Jazz, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Possibly a silly question; can, or should I paint the inside of my chicken coop?
    I want it to be protected from damp and rot etc but also want it to be safe for the chickens.
    Am a complete newbie so would really appreciate any advice (about all aspects of coop building)

Thanks

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG]
    I painted the inside of mine (floor included) white - it really brightened it up in there, and will help the wood last longer. Just make sure it's all dry before adding the chooks. If you're really concerned, you could use a low-VOC paint.

3. Brook

Brook New Egg

Aug 4, 2009
    If you want to plant your run, you will probably have to section it off, or keep the hens out while the plants mature a bit or they will just scratch them all up.

For damp, high traffic areas (many chicken feet) you may wish to try planting creeping jenny. It is a perennial, grows fast, good in moist environments, takes foot traffic well and it is also edible for humans (and chickens)

EDIT: OK never mind... too early I guess, I read "planting" not "painting" LOL, going to go find my glasses now hehehe [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Awesome thanks! Will they scratch the floor or peck at the inside of the coop?
    The outside aint so much of a problem as I am making a move-able tractor-type thing.
    (I hope it will be move-able - in the plan it looks MASSIVE)

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Not a silly question at all!

I think painting inside the coop is a good idea to try to seal the wood so that mites can't hide easily in it, as well as make the wood easier to clean when it gets splattered with chicken poo.

There is no risk to the chickens once the paint has dried and there is no more paint smell. I suppose if you painted very sloppily and there were a lot of drips the chickens might peck at those, but otherwise, no. Chickens don't gnaw on wood the way parrots do.

6. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Mine is painted bright yellow from a opps can of paint at home depot....only $5 had to visit a couple of times before I found a color I could live with. I think it makes clean up easier if you paint the interior.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Yes it is a good idea for cleanliness reasons but also using a lighter color will add more light which is beneficial to laying hens/egg production.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Minnesota!

Did you know that there is a search function in the blue bar above? You can search via key word in any or all of the forums. It's pretty slick. I remember when I was new -- I had no idea that so much information could be looked up!

Have fun!

BTW, I definitely recommend painting the inside. Especially if you're the type that will want to show off your coop or wash it out every now and then. The paint will be substantially easier to clean. Go with a semi-gloss and choose exterior paint if you live somewhere with big temperature fluxuations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by