Painting window glass/update- used cloth instead

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Nov 6, 2011.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Does anyone paint the glass of coop windows to reduce light? If so, what do you use? I don't want to eliminate light, just reduce it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    could you tape a white plastic trash bag over the window?

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I just put a piece of dark green cloth on the inside of the window pane with velcro. Hardware cloth on the window frame inside the coop will keep the chickens from pecking at the cloth. I needed to do something so light wouldn't shine in the nest boxes. Seems like this is going to work nicely.

4. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new here and new to raising chickens. Why would I want to reduce coop light from windows? Is there a management reason other than light shining into the nesting boxes?

My coop has a large window and a full-length glass patio type (recycled) door. Except for the chickens being able to watch predators salivating outside their cozy coop, I never imagined a problem with too much light.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I want to darken mine so I don't get woken at 5am.....

6. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:I have two other large windows and the coop is plenty light. Those windows are above the nestboxes. The one I covered just let too much light into the nestboxes. My pullets haven't started laying yet and I'm trying to make the nest boxes the darkest area inside the coop. Hopefully, it will work and they won't pick somewhere else to lay.

7. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Couldnt you put some window tint on the outside of the window? Like maybe some reflective tint, the stuff that is illegal to put on your car windows in some states and this way it darkens the coop and gives the burd a mirror they can play around with.

8. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for your answer.

I couldn't see a reason for darkening the coop although I understand wanting a dark, restful spot for laying. My DS made a little "barn" with 4 nesting boxes that I attached just under the window. Since the 'barn' doors face north, there is little chance of getting too much light for the hens.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    My girls ave a choice between dark and light boxes now that I have combined the coops. Not planned that way, just happened. They now lay more in sunlit boxes. [​IMG]. I was worried they were too light and figured just the opposite would happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by