painting your coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by homecatmom, Aug 25, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all. My question today is: I am preparing to paint my coop. I have been told that I may only paint the outside, because the birds will pick at the interior walls and become ill. Is this correct? I should be ready to post the last pictures of the building project sometime this evening or tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the advise available on this list.

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I wouldn't paint the inside. Chickens pick at everything. I'm only painting the outside of my coop myself. Why take chances?

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i forget who it was - but someone painted their coop bright colors in the inside. i suspect it is easier to clean?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is a paint that ACE hardware carries that is livestock-safe. Of course, it only comes in limited colors, like red, brown and green, but if a horse can chew on a fence painted with it, a chicken isn't going to be hurt by it.

5. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I wouldn't paint the inside either.

Instead we applied a triple coat of high grade polyurethane.
    Works really well because the chickens can't pick it, it's waterproof, and the hard finish makes cleaning easy.
    Applied to new plywood, it has a golden sheen which is quite pleasing.

Good luck,
    spot

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I just finished painting mine today. We only painted the outside. $5 returned paint at Lowe's.

When I got the colors they looked like bright orange and black/very dark brown. Hey what do you want, it was $5 for exterior paint, lol. Once they are up and dried, they are Maroon and Gold. My coop is home to Arizona State University chickens, lol. GO SUNDEVILS!!!!!

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Most of my Banty Barn is made of that stuff I can never remember the name of. It's like construction grade paste board. I got it for free from the leftovers of a new home construction site. Anyway, I was concerned that the moisture would get to this stuff and cause it to separate so I painted it good inside and out with exterior gloss house paint. That was about 4 years ago and I haven't had the first problem with the birds pecking it. And it has held up well even with our veeeery high humidity.

8. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Quote:I'm with BeckyLa on this one. I painted the inside of my hen house and my chicks seem completely oblivious to my efforts! And it was the best Martha Stewart semi-gloss that K Mart had on clearance!

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We painted the inside and never had a problem. Our chickens have never had any interest in the paint. It helps seal the wood and makes cleaning easier. It's not like they make lead paint any more, anyway.

10. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I painted the interior of mine. Easier to clean. No problems with the chickens picking at the paint.
    Was worried about the fumes after painting but painted in the morning on a hot day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by