1. btrent94

btrent94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    What is a safe paint to use around the chickens ... ???

Latex is a sure no right cause it will begin to peel because i have a ton of free gallon buckets of that stuff but i dont think its safe ..

I was thinking that wood stain would be best because it would protect the wood and it would be safe ??

Am i right ??

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I just use whatever I have around. And them make sure it is dry then add it to the chickens. If I see any peeling or such I take care of it right away.

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    There have been lots of paint posts recently in the coop forum. I'm sure if you do a search (in the blue bar above), you'll find lots of information on this topic.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Latex is not IME peelier than oil-based (if anything I'd say the reverse); for either one, you just have to apply to dry wood, PRIME WELL FIRST (this step is not optional or you WILL have premature peeling), and apply several thin rather than few thick coats.

Any paint is fine once its dry and nonsmelly, and as long as it is sound and not peeling/flaking. The quality of the paint job matters more than the particular paint.

Have fun,

Pat

5. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    "Fanny" (my RIR yr old hen) Likes here lavendar/grey latex painted lodgings.

I would NOT use oil, because I painted a piece of wood by my front door with it a few years back, and it's peeling now, while the latex is not. AND, latex only takes a few hours to dry even if it's raining.

My life is in too much of a hurry to wait that long!

Might want to read this:
    http://www.eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_paints.htm

http://www.pathnet.org/sp.asp?id=22442

6. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    wood stain will be just fine, waterproof paint will work just fine to.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by