1. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    before I start painting the inside of my coop~ do I use highgloss or semigloss? Mold resistent? do i paint the floor even if I plan to put down vinyl flooring? much diff. between just painting the floor and putting down the vinyl?
    Thank you [​IMG]

2. razmond

razmond Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Seattle
    I just laid the vinyl flooring down, and tacked it to the sides and added a chair rail trim piece to keep it to the walls. Not much point in painting the floor I don't think. You are from Jersey? We don't really have mold issues here in Seattle like some places... no idea about paint choice.

PS--congrats on baby on the way. I look forward to seeing more on your page as you progress. I did the exact same thing--keeping the girls inside and held them while watching tv. One time, I fell asleep and woke up at one in the morning with a chicken in my lap---never thought that would sentence would ever come outta my mouth. [​IMG] I got my girls on May1, so we are learning at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Painting serves two purposes: it seals the wood so that mites can't hide in the cracks, and it also makes cleaning easier. Both purposes could be served by either kind of paint, gloss or semigloss. If you have some of either kind of paint left over, use that. That's what I did.

I can't advise you on the vinyl because I didn't go that route.

4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    We put the vinyl down over unpainted wood. We did use a layer of adhesive primer over the wood, but mostly because we had some leftover from doing the floor on our porch. As long as you seal the seams (such as along the wall), it won't make a difference whether you paint first or not. As to the kind of paint, we have a lot of "kitchen and bathroom paint" (which I believe is mildew resistant and supposed to be more durable for scrubbing) left over from remodeling the bathroom so we're just going to use that. I think it's semigloss, but any finish will work. If we didn't have the bathroom paint we'd be using leftover flat exterior paint.

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a gloss barn paint - exterior paint. Painted the floor & walls inside first thing in the morning, after releasing the flock for their day of free-ranging. Left it open to air-dry completely before adding fresh straw. My paint is latex-based, non-toxic. The chickens are doing well, no problems. The gloss finish is good for easy poop clean-up.( deep straw helps too!)

6. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    We painted the floor and then added the vinyl.

Heck, We painted everything except the hardware cloth and hardware.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by