1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pair of black shamo had two white chicks!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kleber, Mar 1, 2012.

1. kleber

kleber Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    monterey area
    I have a pair of black shamo who hatched one pair of white chicks. I'm wondering how this happened? i was surely expecting black chicks with may be a little white since the rooster has some white in him, but certainly not all white. I will post pics a soon as i take one.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Blacks carrying recessive white? There are white Shamos out there.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I've had a bunch hatch white, and turn color after they get older

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That would be wheaten then. Which is very likely, considering Wheaten is the most common e base in Shamos.

5. kleber

kleber Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    monterey area
    The chicks are now developing their first feathers and they are white. I have had weathen AGF chicks hatch and their feathers start to turn dark right away but dnt stay white. And the two chick were the only two chicks that hatched from 5 eggs. The other 3 didnt make it. Now i have a surrogage hen sitting on another 5 eggs. I have 5 more which i will have to put in my incubator along with some rajah murgh asil eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by