1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pair of EE Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lanaschix, Oct 2, 2015.

1. lanaschix

lanaschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    they are either both pullets or both roos because they look on almost identical. 5-6 weeks old [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Are they mixed breed EE's? generally EE's would have muffs and beard, and not feathered legs. They're cool looking little dudes though! :) It's sometimes harder to tell at this age, but I would guess that they are both little cockerels, especially the one in the foreground--it appears like he has some pointed hackle feathers.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Both boys.

4. lanaschix

Jun 21, 2014
    They are mixed. Dad is a RIR

5. lanaschix

Jun 21, 2014
    Ok, just emailed the lady who gave them to me. She said they are Brahma/RIR mix. She also said they are hard to sex and to hold off longer

6. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Actually if the dad is RIR and mom Light Brahma. that is a sex linked mating. Cockerels would come out black/white and pullets black/red/brown. So those are most definitely cockerels.

It still applies if the mother is a mix... she has to be black/white in color because there is no way you can get black/white daughters out of a RIR.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Cockerels.

8. lanaschix

Jun 21, 2014
    Kev - I'm a newbie. Is there a link that explains color genetics? I'm assuming from what you said that the color is dictated by the X chromosome?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
  10. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

Yeah that's close. In chickens it's the reverse- hens are XY and roosters XX to use the human analogy. In genetic terms, ZZ and ZW are used for birds.

The gene that makes chickens white/black is called Silver. It prevents the bird from making the red/gold pigments. For example, the only difference between buff and light brahma is the latter has the Silver gene.. causing them to be black/white instead.

Silver is a sex linked AND dominant gene. So the RIR being a gold ZZ bred with a light(that's the silver) brahma being a Silver ZW causes b/w cockerels because they got the dominant sex linked silver from their mother.. while the daughters can only get their Z from their father, which is gold, causing them to be gold, lacking silver.

Barring is another perhaps more well known example of dominant sex linked gene in chickens. It's widely used for production purposes... all Black Sex Links are produced and sexed using the Barring gene via usually RIR roosters over Barred rock hens.. the cockerels are born with white head spot and the pullets don't have this.. easy for immediate sexing at hatch.

Some lines do make use of more than one sex linked gene- for example creating a female breeder line pure for barring and silver for even more obvious sexual difference at hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by