1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pair or Straight Run?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Finny, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I am thinking of getting two sebbies, but I have a dilemma. I have four males ducks currently and i would like the ducks and geese to live together. I have heard from many people that their ducks and geese get along out side of breeding season, but during breeding season the ganders get very protective over the females and could hurt the ducks. So i am thinking of ordering from metzer but they only have the option of ordering a pair of sebbies or straight run. I am not sure which one to do. My thoughts are that if I order straight run there are only three options of what genders I could end up with:
    Two ganders
    Two females
    Or a pair

Two females would be perfect, i would not have to worry about fighting during the breeding season. But if i end up with two ganders will they get aggressive during breeding season anyways even if there are no girls? The other option is i could end up with a pair anyways even if i do straight run and not order a pair.

I am leaning more towards straight run, but it all depends if the ganders will still be aggressive.

Any thoughts?

Also i am starting to think that "straight run" is a secret code for "males" lol. The last time i ordered straight run, they all turned out to be males. Maybe the farms are just trying to get rid of unwanted males? Or maybe its just a coincidence.

Anyways, and advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't have Sebbies and I've heard they are more mild mannered if there is such a thing to have a mild mannered gander during breeding season, lol but I can tell you what I am seeing right now, my geese and ducks and chickens have about a half acre of fenced property to hang out in during the day, and my gander will go after any duck that gets close to him or my goose, and if he was closed up in a pen I think he may hurt some one. I don't think I would have ganders penned up with any ducks whether drakes or ducks, now if you get females your drakes will be wanting to breed with them, yep they will my gander was hatched and raised by Muscovy and he mated with all my ducks till I got him a mate. Geese and ducks can mate they just can't reproduce.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    So I guess this is not going to work unless they both happen to be girls which is only a 1/3 chance. Darn:(

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Why not just build a separate run for them and house that way when you can be with them they can all be together but when you can't they can have their own space. Another place I wouldn't have my goose and gander is in a house with other ducks/chickens. some do but I don't see how unless it's only females. Another thing I have 36 in my flock so quite a bit more than you, you have 3-4 drakes? and if you got 2 geese that's quite a bit of room for them 1/3 acre. the only problem would be during breeding season and if they had their own pen they could stay in there till it was over or rotate and let drakes out fro a bit of foraging then switch to the geese. might work.

5. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    I wish I could do that, but my parents won't let me[​IMG]. I don't blame them though; building a whole new run and pen can be expensive. Could i order the pair to ensure i have a girl and then find a new home for the gander?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes but will that be fair to either of them? I had my gander for 6 yrs before I got him a mate, I can tell you they do much better with their own kind. Another thing she will be constantly mobbed by your drakes wanting to mate with her. It will be stressful for her and you. My gander would probably have lived the rest of his very happy being a giant duck[which I'm pretty sure he thought he was] but to see him now and how bonded he is with the goose it's just so much better.

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Alright thanks for the input. I guess getting geese just is not meant to be for me

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's very addicting but you want to be fair to your flock, Having an all drake flock is fine but putting 1 female in the mix I just don't see it working, Maybe one day when you can get a part time job or make some extra money some how you can show your parents you'd be willing to help out with new pen and housing they would agree. [​IMG]

9. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Do you know of any farm that will let me order only two sexed sebbies?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't but have you again checked on your state thread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by