Pairing silkies for the best offspring (Quality and color)

poultrycrazy

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
:)
I have a blue split to lavender silkie hen and a splah split to lavender hen, what color rooster would be the best for these two? What colored babies will they make?

Didn't we just do this?
hu.gif

Here's the other thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=477577

Well Thats when i was going to use the splash lav split rooster but he died during shipping so i have no roo to breed with them. I just want to get the right color rooster now and i figured someone could help me out on here.

Quote:
Thanks, he was a gorgous roo. The thing is is that they were paid for overnight shipping and they came 2 days later! and the shipping box was so smal idk how they even fit 3 chickens in there cuz when i got them one hen was laying down and she took up half the box and with the dead one also taking up half the box the other hen had to stand on it.
somad.gif

This shipping debacle should be a reminder to all of us, they are living, breathing creatures and we have to take that in to account. I am not implying that poultrycrazy had anything to do with this but it brings to mind what I hear every time someone wants me to ship, that much for shipping? Anyone that's contemplating having birds shipped needs to remember we have no control over what it costs to ship a bird. They need to remember that we have to buy the approved boxes to ship the birds in. The purchaser also need to request either two boxes for certain birds or numbers of birds or size of birds because some shippers will cut corners as this one did.

I will not ship three started or adult birds in a box even if the purchaser requests it, it is cruel and inhumane. Even if it means I lose the sale. They will either go in two boxes or I will use a four stall box. And once our temps hit 70 here I either don't ship or only one bird goes in the box. I had two sent to me a couple of years ago when our temps were just above 70, the heat released from the box when I opened it was unbelievable.

Ya i agree (now that something like this happened) and most likely wont be buying chickens to be shipped for a while.

Hi!
Should I understand that Sonoran´s answer is aiming for lav chicks?? Because the two hens are already split for lav. But the black roo won´t give any lav F1...
Am I rigth that the two split hens (even if they are blue/splash), when crossed to a lav rooster would give 50% lav chicks? And the other 50%..... blue?

Back
Top Bottom