Pairs or Trios?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Year of the Rooster, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I want to get silkies as I LOVE their fluffy-ness [​IMG] What would be better for them, a rooster and a hen or a rooster and two hens? Does it matter? I know as far as mating that if I have two hens then one hen won't be singled out as much. But do they do fine in pairs?

2. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    ok I KNOW there are some silkie fanatics out there [​IMG] Anyone know?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm in the process of getting silkies and I would go for a trio. Much easier on the hens that way. I have four D'uccle's 3 girls and 1 boy and they seem really happy together.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I would get a trio and preferably hens of different bloodlines. Then you have a lot more to work with.

5. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'm not sure if I can get different bloodlines. I'm ordering from Ideal so I'll have no idea who the parents will be. [​IMG]

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Get a trio so that hopefully your roo wont over breed them and pull out their feathers.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Either would work fine. You'd probably be better off with a trio (less stress per hen), plus it would give you a slightly more diversified gene pool to work with [​IMG]

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'd order a bunch if going through ideal, since you can't have them sexed. That way you don't end up with all hens or all roos. Then pick when they've grown enough to sex them.

JMO, but I'm always a "more means a better selection to choose from (or keep! [​IMG])" kind of person. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by