1. country life 17

country life 17 New Egg

Nov 29, 2013
    My biggest buff orphington has a very pale comb. She seems tired all the time, and she doesn't sleep on the roost anymore. She sleeps on the floor in the corner. She still eats fine. We call her big mama, cause she has been the biggest and the boss! But she doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in being the boss anymore. Also she seems to have a droopy but? This has been going on for several weeks. Any thoughts?

2. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    is she always on the ground even in the day

3. country life 17

country life 17 New Egg

Nov 29, 2013
    She has a stump she likes to stand on, she still gets on that. Sometimes she will get on a chair, but yes mostly on the ground. The coop is raised a bit with a ramp. We have pine shavings on the floor in there.

4. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Pale = anemic to me . Possibly non specific enteritis . A inflammation of the intestines . Causes blood loss due to inflamed intestines. Poor absorption of nutrients = slow starvation even with normal feed consumption . Can be treated .

5. country life 17

country life 17 New Egg

Nov 29, 2013
    What do you give anemic chickens?

6. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Knew I should have looked it up . Treat the cause . Try LS 50 from the farm store . May also be called linco spectinmycin . Also furazolidone ,furaltadone,ampicillin . Look at the directions for enteritis or colisepticaemia under diseases treated. This is most likely a E. coli infection .

7. country life 17

country life 17 New Egg

Nov 29, 2013
    Thank you for your help!

8. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    You're welcome . Good luck

9. Daniela1909

Daniela1909 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    I would seriously take this chook to the vet.
    I took another chook, Zora to the very because she had similar conditions.

Dr. Dot. gave her anti-inflammatory medicine and anti-biotics and she got well!
    She now lays again.
    She is quirky again.

However, today, Chloe died, my red chook and she had similar symptoms. Pale, tired, no energy, diarrhoea, etc.
    We buried her this morning.

check out some of my photos - daniela1909

10. country life 17

country life 17 New Egg

Nov 29, 2013
    Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for the advice, I will try to find a vet around here that will see her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by