Pale Comb and not laid any eggs for 2 months

annies barnyard

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2019
Leicestershire, England
One of our chickens has not laid now for almost 3 months during the months of June and July and some of August. Over the last day or so her comb is very pale. She is a light sussex and always her comb is a good indicator if she is not well. She is 3 and half years old. Been a good egg layer up to now. We have wormed her and checked her for pests and medicated accordingly and are confident it is not a pest problem. Not sure what the problem could be and why she is not laying. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

One of our chickens has not laid now for almost 3 months during the months of June and July and some of August. Over the last day or so her comb is very pale. She is a light sussex and always her comb is a good indicator if she is not well. She is 3 and half years old. Been a good egg layer up to now. Not sure what the problem could be and why she is not laying. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
My BR hen Harriet stopped laying at about 15mos of age. This was my first flock so I was in panic mode when she started losing feathers in early summer and had not laid egg in 5wks. AT that time her comb was slightly pale compared to other hens. Vet took xray and blood work and diagnosed her with fatty liver. He mentioned causes such as nutrition, genetic, environmental, and or hormonal. I've read that higher egg producing hens appear the be the birds within a flock that are most affected and she was my first & best layer. His recommendation was to limit unhealthy snacks such as scratch and give her some tuna to perk her up and add vitamins to water. He added she could still live a healthy and happy life. She has not laid an egg since and is now 6.5 years old and tends to always go into molt early. I make sure she gets a high protein feed & diet and am very careful what added foods I give her. I add vitamins periodically or when she appears slower than normal. Please know I'm not suggesting your hen has fatty liver since many things can cause hen to stop laying with pale comb such as what you've already checked for, molting, vitamin deficiency, reproductive issues, diseases or environmental causes etc. Hope she feels better soon.

Last edited:
One of our chickens has not laid now for almost 3 months during the months of June and July and some of August. Over the last day or so her comb is very pale. She is a light sussex and always her comb is a good indicator if she is not well. She is 3 and half years old. Been a good egg layer up to now. We have wormed her and checked her for pests and medicated accordingly and are confident it is not a pest problem. Not sure what the problem could be and why she is not laying. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Ever tested her for Anemia and and coccidiosis???

I had one stop from the beginning of July through last week. I think she was molting. Many things can play a factor, stress, heat, adding new members to the flock, fleas, mites, sickness, etc. give her time.

My BR hen Harriet stopped laying at about 15mos of age. This was my first flock so I was in panic mode when she started losing feathers in early summer and had not laid egg in 5wks. AT that time her comb was slightly pale compared to other hens. Vet took xray and blood work and diagnosed her with fatty liver. He mentioned causes such as nutrition, genetic, environmental, and or hormonal. I've read that higher egg producing hens appear the be the birds within a flock that are most affected and she was my first & best layer. His recommendation was to limit unhealthy snacks such as scratch and give her some tuna to perk her up and add vitamins to water. He added she could still live a healthy and happy life. She has not laid an egg since and is now 6.5 years old and tends to always go into molt early. I make sure she gets a high protein feed & diet and am very careful what added foods I give her. I add vitamins periodically or when she appears slower than normal. Please know I'm not suggesting your hen has fatty liver since many things can cause hen to stop laying with pale comb such as what you've already checked for, molting, vitamin deficiency, reproductive issues, diseases or environmental causes etc. Hope she feels better soon.

Thank you for your reply. That is quite heartening to know particularly given that Harriet is now 6.5 years old. I noticed this morning that her poop is unfortunately turning a yolky colour so I am wondering if her body is now trying to start laying again but something with the egg laying process has perhaps gone wrong. I think it is going to be a vets trip. She is sitting in the garden borders this morning right at the very back and her comb is still very pale. She managed a few blueberries but nothing substantial. She does normally like Tuna so that is also good to know. I will post how I get on. Thanks again.

Yes, could be she is having reproductive issues. I have a hen that I adopted that has reproductive issues. First week I owned her she laid shell less egg. I took it she was just stressed. She's had issues on & off since and will act unwell: sitting a lot, ruffled feathers, lighter comb, swollen bottom and also at times has yellow tinged yoke like diarrhea during her episodes. When she starts acting unwell I put sav-a- chick Vitamins in her water. Vitamins work wonders. It improves their well being by strengthening their immune system and helps them fight off infections. She usually comes out of in in a week. There was one time I had to step in and give her antibiotic because I was concerned it was egg peritonitis. She was acting very sick and didn't feel she'd make it. She recovered nicely. Another thought if it ends up not being egg laying issue is possibility of being coccidiosis as Kabootor mentioned. An unwell chicken with Yellow foaming or blood tingled droppings could be a sign of coccidiosis. It is easy to treat with just adding Corid powder to water. You can take sample of dropping to Vets and a simple stool test can diagnose coccidiosis. Please keep us updated on how your hen is doing. Best wishes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom