Pale comb and now no eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lollydolly, Aug 13, 2014.

1. lollydolly

lollydolly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    Hi all, I have a amberlink hen who is approx 1 year old. When we got her we were told she would lay brown eggs. After about a weeks or two she indeed started to lay lovely big brown eggs every day and was very prone to double yolks! Yum! And then out of no where she started to lay cream eggs? Then the cream eggs become an odd shape and texture (almost grainy) or like grit not smooth? Then recently she laid a huge weird shape cream egg and hasn't laid for about 2 weeks. She seems fine in herself and is still eating and drinking (layers mash and mixed corn as a treat) my other hens are thriving and are laying daily but I'm worried about her? I also think she may be blind in one eye as its a little hazey like a cataract and she closes it quite a lot but its definately not infected - unsure if that's related? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Also her comb is a little pale but still quite pink in colour so it's not too bad?

Laura

2. lollydolly

Apr 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of her bad eye and comb

3. lollydolly

Apr 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is her good eye?

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would suggest that you de-worm her if she free ranges...use Safeguard or Panacur...she may have a worm infestation..

Have you recently treated your flock for any lice/mites problems ? If not it would be prudent to do so.

5. lollydolly

Apr 12, 2013

I'll try de worming her... I'm in the uk are those dr worming products available here do you know? I don't think its mites I check the hens and coop regularly and I dust them and the coop very well and regularly with diatom powder. She seems very happy within herself and she's the most friendly of all my hens. Always comes over for treats and strokes and follows me around the garden. X

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    A Vet in the UK.... if you can purchase fenbendazole from them without taking the chicken the surgery,,tell them that you have seen worms in the poo...yes tell fibs....! Otherwise it will cost you in excess of £20.00 just to visit...without any treatment to have somebody tell you yes...it maybe caused by worms....

7. lollydolly

Apr 12, 2013
    Excellent ill call them first thing in the morning. Thank you. Fingers crossed that resolves the issue and she starts laying normal eggs again. X

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by