Pale Comb and wattles

HeatherM1375

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
Hello Everyone,
I am hoping somone out there in "Chicken Land" can help me. One of my Golden Laced Wyandottes died today! I am very sad about this, and also very concerned as I have 5 other hens. I noticed this morning that this hen was drooping in the run, just laying there with her tail tucked. Her comb and wattles were EXTREMELY pale, like a pale peach/orange color. I ran to the local feed store to ask for help and to hopefully get some medicine for her. They gave me VetRx, but basically told me that she would likely die. When I got back, she had died already.
I am wonderintg if anyone else has had any hens with this type of condition. It has been cold here, with a Nor'easter hitting us last Friday. The run is covered in plastic, so no wetness or snow got to them.
Can anyone help?

Thank you!
Heather

So sorry to hear of your loss.. it could be for many reasons, she may have been an internal layer, have you recently treated your flock for mice/lice infestations, have you recently wormed them?

There are so many things to consider and right now as you have said there are five others in the flock so it may be good practise to treat for any potential problems from lice, mites and worms.

If you do suspect that she may have been an internal layer... there is nothing that you could have done to save her, again, I am so sorry for your loss.

hugs.gif

Hi Suzie,

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your kind wishes. You asked if I had wormed them or treated them for lice/mites. I am embarrassed to admit that I have not! What would one use to worm chickens and to treat them for lice/mites. And where would I get such items?

Thank you again, Suzie!

Heather

You can use either Sevin or Permethryn to treat for lice/mites and there are many products on the market for de-worming chickens..I use a product called Oxfendazole... available here in France ... Albendazole is widely used in the USA... Dawg has brilliant information on what to use for types of worm infestations... hopefully he will be online soon to help you with his expertise into what is the best de-wormer to use.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom