Pale comb, black spots, dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dragonfly11, Feb 16, 2011.

1. dragonfly11

dragonfly11 New Egg

Feb 16, 2011
    I brought a chicken into my house over 3 weeks ago because it looked like it had frostbite on the tips of its comb. At the time. it had separated itself from other chickens and I was worried that it would freeze to death. Once inside the house it seemed be be breathing hard and had little interest in walking around, other than to eat and drink. Over the next 3 weeks, the comb got really pale, the chicken grew lethargic and laid down all the time. I tried Gatorade and antibiotics. Today it died and the person who took care of it for me said that there were small worms on it. Has anyone had a similar experience?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Chickens will get worms in time if their feet touch the ground. Once infested and not treated, the worms will kill the chicken. Sorry for your loss.

3. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Quote:Worms ON the chicken sound like lice. Either way mites/lice/worms can kill your chickens.

4. dragonfly11

dragonfly11 New Egg

Feb 16, 2011
    If my chicken did die of worms, would these be contagious to other house pets (like my golden retriever)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by