1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pale comb in Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmGirl01, Jul 30, 2011.

1. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have a 1+ year old Rooster that has a pale comb. He's going thru a heavy molt and the temps are in the 100's. He's been this way for a few weeks now.

The first time I noticed it, I started him on a round of antibiotics. Nothing, no change. Then I checked him again for mites and such. I didn't find any, but I sprayed him with Adams. Still no change. So after that I wormed him thinkng this had to be it. In a few days, I will give him a follow up treatment with the wormer. I use Valabzan. All of the treatments were spread out over a few weeks. As of today he still has the pale color.

He is acting very normal doing all of the usual Rooster things. I feed a great diet with lots of whole grains and pellets. VItamins in the drinking water. I've had the same routine for years.
    So what have I missed?
    MItes.
    Worms.
    Infection.
    Diet.

Any suggestions? Thanks.[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It sounds like you covered everything. The heat could be having an effect. If he's eating and drinking normally, crowing, chasing hens etc... I wouldnt worry too much about it. Just make sure there's cool fresh water, maybe a fan blowing in the pen/run and shade. He'll be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by